Friday 31 August 2012

Taking my own advice... Sleep Deprivation and Acceptance

About six weeks ago I blogged about acceptance. With the logic that so little of what these babies do is to our schedule and all we can really control is how we cope with and feel about it.

At the time baby Euna was in a dream routine and sleeping 7:00pm till 7:00am and my theory on how much happier you can be if you just "accept" the sleepless nights and feeding frustrations was much easier to swallow. I hate 20th July me. Smug *&@$£. Think she knows it all.

Today I am rubbing my eyes after a third night of ALL NIGHT waking and I whilst I recognise 20th July me is right, I felt the need to write to reaffirm my faith in her. After all I can't stop these teeth coming through. There's only so much pain relief the minuscule amount of Calpol that actually makes it down her neck is going to provide. I can't tell her crying won't help but I am sympathising.

So I just need to accept. Accept the fact she still went down like a dream but literally woke the SECOND I got in to bed at 10:30pm. Accept seeing the clock at 11, 12, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6:00am. Accept the husbands snoring every time I slip (briefly and foolishly) back in to bed. Accept the breastfeeding enforced caffeine restrictions the next day.

And most of all, as it's often the hardest part, accept that as soon as you've admitting defeat, got up and drank your first (sleep stopping) coffee THIS...

I wonder how many Mums have spoke these words before "OH! NOW you sleep!"

Lesson: Think whatever you got to think to keep your sense of humour.

1 comment:

  1. My daughter is now 17 months old. She slept through the night from 3-5 months and not again until we did some "sleep training" after she turned 1. Lately she's been waking up at least once each night and refuses to go back to sleep unless it's in our bed. I'm hoping it's another phase because because I just don't sleep all that well with her in our bed. :-( Hopefully your daughter is back to sleeping through the night. It's definitely tiring.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate, read and reply to all comments, I would LOVE to hear what you think today...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...